top of page
Order of Filing Complaints
(each step may result in resolution so you could stop there)

1. Contact the Funeral Home (FH) or Cemetery (CEM) with your concern.

2. Negotiate with FH or CEM with your entire case written out, letting them know you are prepared to submit the complaint to the appropriate authorities if they can't resolve your concern.

3. File a complaint with the funeral profession oversight Board of your State

4. File your complaint with the FTC (click on "something else" as the category for a funeral/cemetery complaint since there is no specific category on the ftc site for that but the FTC truly does want to collect these complaints).

5. Ask for a review your case and for them to censure their member: -International Cemetery, Cremation and Funeral Association (ICCFA) -National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA) 800-228-6332 or -Monument Builders of North America (MBNA) (800) 362-2546 or

6. Complain to a local Consumer Protection Office or State Attorneys General

7. Submit a Complaint to Better Business Bureau (BBB) about the business.

8. Tell the media (TV show, podcaster, any kind of social media), just get the word out.

9. Leave a factual review of the business on Google,Yelp, or the like.

10. Tell your State Legislative Representative your idea for a Bill to prevent this from happening to others. Be concise in writing/telling your story. Don't approach them when they are in the middle of a legislative session, unless a bill on their current docket relates.
bottom of page